Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mixed Media Birdhouses

 

I got a wild idea one early morning last week to do a mixed media project of bird houses. When I was visiting my childhood friend Debbie in Connecticut last month we spent two days playing in her art studio. I got my first experience with mixed media art. It was so much fun. I am very much into recycle, repurpose, reuse...

I started my project with an already existing print. When we repainted the dining room in 2012 my Home Goods purchases went into storage until last week when I decided to put them to good use.

I unglued the backing and removed the print from the frame then applied a thick a thick layer of white gesso paint. When that dried I used acrylics in blues and greens to pain the grass and sky.

Then I used every stencil I owned with all the colors in my acrylic paint box to create a background.

It was looking pretty wild until I started applying the patterned paper shapes with modge podge. Then the picture began to take on a personality.

Adding some stamps, more paint and a lot of sharpie black marker it was ready for phraseology and reframing.

I have another print ready for the next project. Whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment