Sunday, January 26, 2014

STENCILED DAY 3

Today is all about embossing pastes for texture. I need more practice with this technique. I found an very old stencil in my stash. It is an Easter bonnet so for kicks I thought I would try it with the paste. First off, I made my own paste with talcum powder, glue and acrylic paint. I didn't want to invest in the product if I wasn't partial to the technique. On the white card stock I created a background with some opalite iridescent ink and very light baby blue blotches. I also spattered a few specs of silver glitter glue. The demonstration card by Debby Hughes was very ornate with lots of parts. Mine not so much. I die cut 3 pink butterflies and heat embossed the sentiment. With this unusually cold weather I thought it appropriate. When the paste was dry I stamped the pink roses with green stems and mounted all the parts. I tucked some silver yarn behind one of the butterflies adding a few gems and glossy accents for sparkle.



This second card was supposed to be translucent embossing paste but I don't have any, nor was I able to make it so I used my bark pattern embossing folder with Versamark ink, clear powder and the heat tool. I stamped and colored the flowers and leaves with prismacolor pencils and used Gamsol to blend. The get well sentiment is stamped on velum with Versamark and embossed with Zing spring green for a big pop of color. When I mounted the velum I could see the clear tape, so I added the ribbon for camouflage. Then added some wink of Stella for some shimmer.

 

Again we are looking at translucent embossing paste to resist distress ink. I still can't play along, but I can improvise with Versamark on the stencil. I decided to use a dauber, to place the ink through all the holes and clear embossing powder. It came out ok. Notice I am I to greens today. I had already done the "thanks" with the Zing florescent powder, added a postage stamp die cut and "you rock" just because it was black. Again I added some black ribbon, not to hide a fault, but to help balance the card and dabbled on some drops of glitter glue.

 

The finale was to use embossing paste to create a starry background. Total failure! The paste oozed everywhere, yech. So I resorted to the old standby.. Versamark ink on the dauber. I did the stars with silver embossing powder. I always get a kick out of the Geico commercials so I did a play on the owls. Too cute! I stamped the branch, owls and sentiment on the same color card stock as the stars, colored them with markers, cut them out and adhered them.

I also did a card this morning for a weekly challenge. Green? I guess I need some Spring.

 

2 comments:

  1. Great Work! Love those owls! And good idea on embossing folder + versamark to replicate the translucent embossing paste :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! "Hoo?" such a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete