Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stenciled - 4th day of class

When I fired up my IPAD Monday morning I found a bonus video from Jennifer McGuire. The lesson was to use a stencil on top of a stencil to get a varied color effect. I used an apple stencil and started by inking the leaves with a light green and inked the apple with a pale orange. Then used other detail stencils with darker inks to get the shaded colors. Then I cut them out and mounted onto white card stock with the feel better sentiment. An apple a day... I found some similar color paper in my 6X6 collection and used it as a border. Thinking the apple was kind of school like, I used a ledger embossing folder with white card stock and mounted it all on a desert storm colored card base. I may add some embellishments later, or not. Also in this video was an introduction to a really cool new tool. A marker spritzer. You attach any marker to this doohickey and use a rubber ball to force air through the marker tip giving you a quick mister. Any color, no mess. wow. I want one.


The first video of day 4's lesson showed us how to make our own stencils using scrap plastic and dies. I don't have a big die stash, but I did have these feathers so I created the stencil and used it to create the cool background. I stamped a hello bubble in the same color ink but when I applied wink of Stella .. it bled, so I stamped it again with stazon. Have to be careful with certain medium, it doesn't always play well with others. I like the look of this card. Lots!

The next video was using stencils as an embossing plate then also used it to color. I wanted to use the splatter stencil for this. I mounted several plates and mats into my Big Kick vintage until I could get it to impress. There are so many sandwich combinations with different dies and mats and folders and all. I never know what works best, I have to recreate each time. Mayo or no mayo? Same thing.
I used 3 distress inks, brick red, wild honey and tea dye to get the blended color on this splatter stencil. Someone mentioned that it looked like coffee stains. I used a brown stazon and stamped the coffee cup, colored with markers and cut it out. In order to make it look like it spilled, I put it at an angle. I used white embossing powder for the sentiment ..it won't always be like this and cut it out of dark brown cardstock to look like a banner. Feeling it needed something else I found these Elle's studio labels in the Simon Says February kit and attached this Always Remember to the banner. I mounted it to an 8 1/2 inch card base and used a brown bo bunny printed card stock for the left border and a few sequins for effect.

Sheri Carroll used various stencils with a Gelli plate and acrylics to get a great background for a card. I have no Gelli plate, nor was I interested in digging out my acrylics, so I used ink. I used 3 stencils to get the rays, stripes and letters/numbers. Then stamped a couple of stop watches and the French script. I used silver embossing powder for the sentiment onto some velum paper and anchored it with a couple of small hearts. Then placed a few sequins and gems, cut it to size and mounted on a yellow base.




The finale was yet another embossing paste video. Yech. I have had no luck with this technique. But what the hey, I will try it again. I added more talc to my homemade embossing paste hoping to improve the consistency, perhaps it would not run inside the stencil. Earlier I had cut theses feathers and made a stencil out of cellophane, but it was too flimsy for this technique so I used the negative space of the cardstock, it gave me one shot. The outer two feathers were made with paste and 3 colors of Zing embossing powder. I had to wait for the paste to dry before I could heat set it. Seemed to take a long time to finally melt, but it came out pretty good. The middle feathers were die cut and heat embossed with the same Zing powders. I stamped the greeting and tied it up with the cool silver twine, mounted on a teal backing and mounted to a top folding card. Bravo.
Since I was successful once, I thought I would try the falling heart stencil. Some of them turned out ok. I used reflections embossing powder for the pink tinge and used stickers to cover up splotches that did not quite work. I stamped and colored a cupcake and cut it out, then used the same pink embossing powder on a chip die arrow that came in my card kit along with the sentiment which I stamped in Memento rose bud. A border cut from a 6X6 card stock pack finished off the card. This will be perfect for my grand daughter's upcoming birthday. She is turning 5.  Little miss pinkalicious.


2 comments:

  1. Your cards were fun to look at. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie will love that card!!! Little Miss Pinkalicious. She'll probably carry it around the house with her for the next few weeks.

    The card with the feathers is gorgeous, I'll take it! ;)

    ReplyDelete