When I fired up my IPAD Monday morning I found a bonus video from Jennifer McGuire. The lesson was to use a stencil on top of a stencil to get a varied color effect. I used an apple stencil and started by inking the leaves with a light green and inked the apple with a pale orange. Then used other detail stencils with darker inks to get the shaded colors. Then I cut them out and mounted onto white card stock with the feel better sentiment. An apple a day... I found some similar color paper in my 6X6 collection and used it as a border. Thinking the apple was kind of school like, I used a ledger embossing folder with white card stock and mounted it all on a desert storm colored card base. I may add some embellishments later, or not. Also in this video was an introduction to a really cool new tool. A marker spritzer. You attach any marker to this doohickey and use a rubber ball to force air through the marker tip giving you a quick mister. Any color, no mess. wow. I want one.
The first video of day 4's lesson showed us how to make our own stencils using scrap plastic and dies. I don't have a big die stash, but I did have these feathers so I created the stencil and used it to create the cool background. I stamped a hello bubble in the same color ink but when I applied wink of Stella .. it bled, so I stamped it again with stazon. Have to be careful with certain medium, it doesn't always play well with others. I like the look of this card. Lots!
The next video was using stencils as an embossing plate then also used it to color. I wanted to use the splatter stencil for this. I mounted several plates and mats into my Big Kick vintage until I could get it to impress. There are so many sandwich combinations with different dies and mats and folders and all. I never know what works best, I have to recreate each time. Mayo or no mayo? Same thing.
I used 3 distress inks, brick red, wild honey and tea dye to get the blended color on this splatter stencil. Someone mentioned that it looked like coffee stains. I used a brown stazon and stamped the coffee cup, colored with markers and cut it out. In order to make it look like it spilled, I put it at an angle. I used white embossing powder for the sentiment ..it won't always be like this and cut it out of dark brown cardstock to look like a banner. Feeling it needed something else I found these Elle's studio labels in the Simon Says February kit and attached this Always Remember to the banner. I mounted it to an 8 1/2 inch card base and used a brown bo bunny printed card stock for the left border and a few sequins for effect.
Sheri Carroll used various stencils with a Gelli plate and acrylics to get a great background for a card. I have no Gelli plate, nor was I interested in digging out my acrylics, so I used ink. I used 3 stencils to get the rays, stripes and letters/numbers. Then stamped a couple of stop watches and the French script. I used silver embossing powder for the sentiment onto some velum paper and anchored it with a couple of small hearts. Then placed a few sequins and gems, cut it to size and mounted on a yellow base.
The finale was yet another embossing paste video. Yech. I have had no luck with this technique. But what the hey, I will try it again. I added more talc to my homemade embossing paste hoping to improve the consistency, perhaps it would not run inside the stencil. Earlier I had cut theses feathers and made a stencil out of cellophane, but it was too flimsy for this technique so I used the negative space of the cardstock, it gave me one shot. The outer two feathers were made with paste and 3 colors of Zing embossing powder. I had to wait for the paste to dry before I could heat set it. Seemed to take a long time to finally melt, but it came out pretty good. The middle feathers were die cut and heat embossed with the same Zing powders. I stamped the greeting and tied it up with the cool silver twine, mounted on a teal backing and mounted to a top folding card. Bravo.
Since I was successful once, I thought I would try the falling heart stencil. Some of them turned out ok. I used reflections embossing powder for the pink tinge and used stickers to cover up splotches that did not quite work. I stamped and colored a cupcake and cut it out, then used the same pink embossing powder on a chip die arrow that came in my card kit along with the sentiment which I stamped in Memento rose bud. A border cut from a 6X6 card stock pack finished off the card. This will be perfect for my grand daughter's upcoming birthday. She is turning 5. Little miss pinkalicious.