Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Family of Textures

Inspiration comes in all forms.
This particular mixed media project came from a couple sources.

First it was this photo I took of a shower curtain; yes that is what it was.

When we visited my step-daughter at her new home I admired her shower curtain in the downstairs bath. I thought at that time it would make a great subject for a mixed media art project. This weekend we are traveling back up to New England and staying with her. So I thought it was high time I acted on my inspiration.

About the same time, Shawn Petite (one of my favorite mixed media artists) posted a project using a lot of texture and grunge in very subtle earth tones. How much inspiration does one really need?

I knew I had to record it because if I don't keep practicing my video editing skills I will never get the hang of it. Recording is the easy part. Putting it all together is the challenge. The project gave me a lot of grief, it started out good, got very muddy and undefined. But then finally took shape. Looking back at the piece I can see layer upon layer of texture and "yumminess".

As I began editing each of the frames, I caught sight of an AARP card on my table. What? in EVERY frame! I wish I knew how to blur out a portion of my screen, but I don't, I tried a few options, then settled on a rectangle on the right side to block it. I use old credit cards to smooth out surfaces and move paint. But I did not want it in my video.

Alas, I will find a way to blur out portions over time. I did find editing tools for my tips, giving it background colors and different fonts. As I get more comfortable with the application, I will branch out further, but at this juncture, it takes me a long time to get what I get. Letting go of perfection..? maybe a little. The music is not perfect and I missed one tip about the modeling paste. But I did not want to go through the compile process again for something so miniscule.

Here it is on YouTube: https://youtu.be/wocGIsN_bRc (Mixed Media - Family)
Enjoy!

Product List:

Fine line marker - White
Liquitex professional Matte Medium, Gloss Gel, Glass Beads, Light Modeling Paste, Gesso and Glazing medium
Ranger Archival Ink - jet black
Deco Art acrylic paints
Dreamweaver embossing paste black
Blick & Artist's Loft Soft Pastels
Charcoal Pencil - General
McCalls Dress Pattern
Drywall tape and heavy crepe paper courtesy of my Art Journal Club

No comments:

Post a Comment