Sunday, November 4, 2018

Change Takes Courage

One thing I learned at my recent craft fair is that flowery mixed media paintings don't sell unless they contain a bold message. It is always a difficult thing to know what customers want. I had thought that because it was a church craft fair they would want religious type stuff. But no. That is not what sold.

What does sell is texture and quotes that people relate to. So for my next craft fair, which may or may not happen I will concentrate on doing more of those types of art.

In this particular piece, I used instruction I got in Shawn Petite's "Yummy Layered Backgrounds" workshop, specifically the decollage lesson. I looked up decollage and found out is a French term that means to "take away". In this technique you stick your papers down and peel them back up. It seems kind of wasteful until you see the texture you get from ripped papers especially when you emphasis the layers.

I really had no idea what I was going to do with the background until it was done. I got this Owl stencil a while back and I really love it. I did not have a lot of confidence I could get a good image directly on the board so I created it on watercolor paper then popped it up to stand out. I am really happy with this project.



Enjoy the Video. I am really getting into all types of music.

Mixed Media Change


Product List:
Shawn Petite Stencils: Owl & Flowers Silhouette
Liquitex Matte Medium, Gesso, Gloss Gel, Satin Varnish
Deco Art Acrylics and Fluid Acrylics
Judikins Microglaze and embossing powder
Ranger Archival and Versafine Inks
Canson 9x12 140lb watercolor paper
Zig Clean color markers
Dreamweavers Embossing paste
Impression Obsession, stampers anonymous & Unity Stamps
Uniball white gel pen
Blick soft Pastels
Grumbacher Final Fixative

No comments:

Post a Comment