Friday, August 10, 2018

Be Brave

I often see mixed media projects that use a woman's face as the focal point. Sometimes it is a girlish face or a cartoon-like face.

Today, I thought I would try a project with a face. But, rather than use one I found or one that I made up, I decided to use my own. This sketch was created while I looked at my own image using the computer camera. Once I had drawn it, I scanned it; I figured I could use it over and over should I ever have the desire to use a face on a project again.

This painting is on an 11X14 stretched canvas. The background was created with torn patterned paper, magnolia flowers and vines then grunged with black postmarks, numbers and words.

I used the title of "be brave" because I am not one to put my face out there or any facsimile there of. The last time I had done a self portrait was when I was a sophomore in college taking a drawing and painting class at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. As I recall it was not very good.

I am getting much better at editing videos. This one only took one compile. Bravo.

View on YouTube: Mixed Media Be Brave 8-9-2018


Product List:

Fine line marker - White
Liquitex professional Matte Medium, Gesso and Glazing medium
Ranger Archival Ink - jet black
Deco Art acrylic paints
Dreamweaver embossing paste white
Blick & Artist's Loft Soft Pastels
Charcoal Pencil - General
Daler & Rowney Sap Green Acrylic
Liquitex heavy body Acrylic, black
Stencils by Shawn Petite: magnolia, background words, postage 1 and vines
Zig writer by Kuretake

No comments:

Post a Comment