Monday, August 27, 2018

A little color in my life

The last few days I have looked at my work and wondered why everything is so very dark.. Was I in a dark place? Or is the grungy, brown and black colorless paintings just my style? As I was taking a pan pastels class with Donna Downey I starting making abstract poppies. I love poppies, they are so colorful, in fact, I love wild flowers. Why not do a painting of wild flowers? That would be bright and cheery and bring some color in to my drab existence. As I look down at my brown clothing? What?

The other morning after I finished cleaning my house and doing laundry I sat down to watch a Sunday Inspiration Video by Shawn Petite. It was a calm painting, also in browns and whites and blacks, but it was not the painting but the message that followed. She said she has an app that gives her daily inspirational quotes. I just started my words journal yesterday, so I thought I would search for an app that could help me with that.

Another topic she talked about was that the best way to become good at being a mixed media artist is to practice every day, every minute. I have felt somewhat guilty about the amount of time I spend doing art, even though I love it. So this message reaffirmed my art and gave me permission to live and breathe it without guilt.

When I sat down to breakfast I found an app that I wanted and installed in on my new phone. Then I looked at current quotes they had on the app and what to my wandering eyes does appear? A quote about dreams in a field of wildflowers. Fortuitous. I knew what I had to do.





And of course, I video taped it I had a lot of other activities going on so I did not get it posted for a few days. But here she is in living color:

YOUTUBE: Mixed Media - Dreams


As promised, my products list.
Deco Art Acrylic Paints
Liquitex Gesso, Matte Medium and Glazing medium
Stencils by Shawn Petite
Charcoal Pencil
White China pen, white uniball pen
Blick soft pastels

No comments:

Post a Comment