Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Thumbnail sketches

You are never too old to learn. I have been considering going back to school for sometime. This semester I enrolled in a Composition and Design class at the local college. I enjoy art and I especially aspire to improve.

Our last homework assignment was to use a single image to create three different and distinct drawings. The objective of using thumbnail sketches allows you to quickly create a practice design before forging ahead on a major art initiative. It avoids the possibility of finding out too late you don't like the image and you have wasted time and product on a throw-away.

For my class I chose several photos from our vacation trips in 2013 and narrowed the search to this one:

This is a little town called Perkinsville in Arizona that was the end of our northbound journey aboard the Verde Valley railway. Since my maiden name is Perkins I found the little ghost town quite fitting. Using a view finder I selected three views.

I loved the look of this tree and the fence line, it made an excellent composition of lights and darks.

Secondly I chose the foreground as the roof, vehicle and field all had colors of reds that helped with eye movement.

My last image honed in on the high horizon of the bluff and s composition of the tree line.

 

Each of my three thumbnails were sketched in pencil and shaded with distress ink. I believe anyone of them would make a lovely painting should I decide to take the next step.

 

But what media should I create it with? Guess I will have to take another class before I decide.

Thanks for stopping by.

 

1 comment:

  1. Now I have the urge to take a class! Very interesting planning process.
    (this is Kathy Smith. I don't know how to change my old ID to pinksoup.)

    ReplyDelete